The Main Focus: What is in Man?
The word used for belief here is pisteu≈ç, which carries with it the notion of trust and entrusting oneself to someone or something. Therefore the question belief is one of trust, and in todays lesson we will see that Jesus knows that tends humanity to be untrustworthy in our motives for believing in Him. The text also affirms Christ divine omniscience, or that Jesus is all knowing, and not needing to learn about man s nature from experience.
‚Ä¢ Key Passages: John 2:23-25, Jeremiah 17:9
‚Ä¢ Scripture & Discussion:
- Has there been a time some one has broken your trust? (Share story with Mentee)
- Why did the people believe ? (John 2:23)
- How did Jesus respond? (John 2:24)
- Why? (John 2:24-25)
- What is the nature of our heart? (Jeremiah 17:9)
- Who can understand what is in man?
In this text we see a people that cannot chose to believe and receive Jesus, but a Jesus who choses who He entrusts himself to be received by. Simply put: we don t decided to be saved, God saves us not because we are trustworthy but because He is.
‚Ä¢ Practical Questions:
- What or who do you trust most? Why?
- Should we follow our hearts ? Why? If not, then who or what should we follow?
‚Ä¢ Memory Verse:
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
(Jeremiah 17:9 ESV)