The Main Focus: Picking up our bed and walking
What do you wish God could change today? The way we answer this question deeply shows what we value. For some it s our circumstances and for others it s a long standing prayer for a loved one. In the passage we see a man who was paralyzed for 38 years. Waiting on a small chance that he d be able to walk someday. Even with Jesus there, he had little hope until the God of the universe shows mercy on Him.
Key Passages: John 5:1-18
Scripture & Discussion:
- Who were in the colonnades? (v.1-5)
- What did the Jesus ask of the man? (v 6-9)
- How did the Jewish leaders respond? Why? (v.10-13)
- What did Jesus charge the man to do? (v.14)
- Why were the Jews persecuting Jesus? (v.15-17)
- Why were the Jews seeking to kill Jesus? (v.18)
Jesus power over creation as seen in healing and His assertion of divinity (equality with the Father) are the bedrock of the gospel message. Jesus the sinless God-man lived a perfect life and died a sacrificial death for all who trust in Him to have eternal life. Just as the paralyzed man was healed by faith and called to repent and believe in Jesus, all of us are called to trust in Jesus for right relationship with God.
- Are there areas where you like the Pharisees stress man made rules over God s commands?
- How does Jesus equality with the Father effect your view of Him?
This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.