The Main Focus: Belief
What we believe greatly impacts how we live. Who we trust in life also impacts how we live our lives. In this passage Jesus is driving home who is the most important person to trust in, Himself.
‚Ä¢ Key Passages: John 3:9-18. Numbers 21:9
‚Ä¢ Scripture & Discussion:
- What is something you ve believed in that you found out wasn t true? (share story)
- Does having knowledge equal having understanding? (John 3:9-12)
- What had to happen to Jesus? (John 3:14)
- What is the result of belief in Jesus? (John 3:15)
- Why did God send his son? (John 3:16)
- Why did God not send his son? (John 3:17)
- Who is condemned and why? Who is not condemned and why? (John 3:18)
The message is clear in these verses that God in His infinite love sent His son to die for us. But this isn t automatically applied to all, but to those who believe and the result for those who do not belief is judgment and punishment. The reality is that we are already condemned and that it s the grace of God shown to us in Christ that alone can save us. We are called to trust Him for salvation. Not in what we do but in what Christ has done.
‚Ä¢ Practical Questions:
- Have you trusted in Jesus?
- What are obstacles in surrendering to Him? Believing in Him?
‚Ä¢ Memory Verse:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16