The Main Focus: You must be born again
When a child is born they have no say in when or where or how they will be born. A child s birth is dependent completely on the parent. So it is when a person is born again. It is completely dependent on God. The Spirit of God must awaken some one to new birth and in this passage Jesus is trying to get Nicodemus to understand this truth.
‚Ä¢ Key Passages: John 3:1-8, Ezekiel 36:25-27
‚Ä¢ Scripture & Discussion:
- Have you witnessed a birth or had a baby born in your family? (share story)
- Who was Nicodemus? (John 3:1)
- According to Jesus what must happen to enter the kingdom of God? (John 3:3)
- What does born of water and spirit refer to? (John 3:6-7, Ezekiel 36:25-27)
- Who is in control of new birth? (John 3:8)
Becoming a Christian has far more to do about what God does than what we do. Jesus is clear unless someone is born again by the Spirit they will not inherit the kingdom of God. Later in this conversation with Nicodemus Jesus makes it clear about those the Spirit calls are those who believe or trust in Him. Trusting in His perfect life, sacrificial death on the cross, and life giving resurrection.
‚Ä¢ Practical Questions:
- Have you been born again? Has there been a deep internal change from following this world to following Christ?
‚Ä¢ Memory Verse:
Jesus answered him Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3