The Main Focus: Whom Do We Honor?
Introduction: We consistently imitate, trust, and follow those whose authority we honor. In our youth those influences tend to be relegated early on to what we like and don t like, but as we grow the impact goes from what we are interested in to the ideas and passions that steer our lives. The range of what is impacted includes Jordan s & Hip Hop all the way to Republican or Democrat. In the following passage we see whom we are to honor, but the question is who are what do we really honor?
‚Ä¢ Key Passages: John 5:18-29, Psalm 32
‚Ä¢ Scripture & Discussion:
- Why do you dress the way you do?
- How do you discover good new music?
- Or Like what you like and do what you do?
- Have you heard of the saying like father like son ?
- Who is the Father? (John 5:18)
- What moves Jesus to do what he does? (John 5:19)
- What does the Father do? (John 5:20)
- What can both the Father and Son do? (John 5:21-22)
- Why can Jesus do what the Father does? (John 5:23)
- Can we honor God and not honor Jesus? (John 5:23)
- What is the result of believing? (John 5:24)
- What will happen to the dead? (John 5:25)
- What does it mean to have life in oneself? (John 5:26)
- What can Jesus judge? (John 5:27)
- What is coming? (John 5:28)
Jesus claims to be able to do two things that only God can do, and that is both to give life and to cast judgment. He also states that this is because he is to be honored the just as the Father is honored, that is to say worshiped. Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the exact imprint of his nature. in that he can not only give life and judge, but he can also forgive. and he does through our trust in his death on the cross in our place. The giver of life receives his judgment tasting death once so that we could come out of judgment and into the life only he can give.
‚Ä¢ Practical Questions:
- Who do you want to be like? Why?
- Does what we are interested in or who we are like give us life, meaning, or purpose? Can they?
- Where should we look for life, meaning and purpose?
- What does that look like and how does that happen?
‚Ä¢ Memory Verses:
I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said I will confess my transgressions to the LORD, and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.
(Psalm 32:5 ESV)
Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD.
(Psalm 32:10 ESV)