The Main Focus: Consummation
In the final major scene of God s story we see God bring an end to sin and death and usher in a new heaven and new earth. All that we see passes away and eternity is ushered in. For those in Christ the promises are beautiful: He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” For those outside Christ it s bleak: …their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”
The great hope as Christians is to be with God one day. That can only happen in Jesus Christ and God gives us a glimpse into that. We should then be living in light of that today. Not wasting time, but enjoying God and being obedient to His will.
‚Ä¢ Key Passage: Rev. 21:1-5,8; 2 Peter 3:7, 2 Cor. 4:18
‚Ä¢ Scripture & Discussion:
- What happened to the first heaven and first earth? (Rev. 21:1)
- Based on these two passages, how should we view this life, this world? (2 Peter 3:7, 2 Cor. 4:18)
- Where will God s dwelling place be? (Rev. 21:3)
- What will be done away with in the end? (Rev. 21:4)
- What is being made new? (Rev. 21:5)
- What is the fate of those outside of Christ? (Rev. 21:8)
- Does your life reflect the fact that this life is temporary?
- Is there genuine hope in Jesus return?
And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” – Rev. 21:5