God s Image
I wanted to start off with a story. Last summer I went to Chicago for the first time in my life. Now growing up my favorite team to watch basketball was the bulls because of Michael Jordan. So before I left Chicago I wanted my brother to take me by the Bulls stadium to see the famous Michael Jordan jump man statue. And it was cool. But I couldn t help but think man, how cool would it have been to see him play live? I mean I can watch videos but to see him actually do that stuff in person would have been amazing. You see there s a huge difference between an image of something and the real thing. But the image can always point to the real thing in a way. With that in mind let s turn to Genesis, the first book in the Bible.
Read Genesis 1:26-27
The word image in this scripture does not speak of physical image or a body, but rather the nonphysical qualities that God chose to give only to humans, with limitations. For example, emotions displayed through personalities, making reasonable decisions, knowledge of right and wrong, and a living Spirit.
So just like the statue we ve been given characteristics to display God. But just like the statue we are limited. God is way beyond us but we have the capability to show Him off.
Since everyone is made in God s image that teaches us something:
- We are all on the same page. No race, gender, or class is better or worse than any other. So when we make fun of people, or treat people badly because of how they look or dress, we are not only disrespecting them but God who created them in His image.
So though we were all created to image God we know something went wrong, after Adam sinned that has messed up our ability to show God off rightly. None of us show God off right.
Read Colossians 1:15-16
Here we see Jesus as the true image of God. God is invisible but we when we see Jesus we see Him. The only way we can get back to image God rightly is to trust in Jesus. On the cross there was an exchange, Jesus took on sin and in exchange we receive His righteousness, His goodness, His image by faith. If we trust Him we are saved and our image can be restored. We are freed to show Him off.
Listen to Made in His Image by Derek Minor ft. Andy Mineo and Chad Jones
- What does it mean to be made in God s image? Does it have to with looks?
- Who are some people that you look down on, make fun of, or won t associate with? What does the truth that they are made in God s image say to that behavior?
- What has sin done to our ability to show off God? Instead of showing off God, what examples do you see?
- How is our image ultimately restored?
For more resources check out GOSPEL by D.A. Horton